Benefits of Wood Floor Wax
For decades, hardwood floors have had an aristocratic appeal to them. Applying polyurethane or chemicals causes wood to shine and further adds to their appeal. However, as time progresses, the floors show signs of decay and you are stuck with a dull floor that is an eyesore for the sight. Waxing the floors rather than applying other treatments to help keep the classic look.
Reasons to wax:
- The wax helps to create a protective seal that keeps the floor tight and strong.
- The wax increases the lifespan of the floor
- Adds an aesthetic appeal to the floor
- Easy to apply and use
Reasons not to wax:
- The wood decolorizes over time and darkens
- Little to no maintenance required regularly
- Not a protective solution.
Type of wax to use:
- Liquid wax or wax-based on solvent
- Wax specifically for floor usage and not furniture
- Waxes that can be buffed after usage
- Removal of all furniture, rugs, carpets, and accessories from the floor in question
- Remove the old wax from the floor using wax removers or a piece of cloth dissolved in mineral spirits
- Vacuum the floor to remove dust and any unwanted residue
- Use a comfortable position for applying the wax, preferably by kneeling on the floor.
- Use a microfiber cloth or sponge to spread and apply the wax
- Divide your floor into sections so that you can reach easily and start by kneeling at one position and from a particular corner
- Ensure that you have covered the entire floor with the wax before getting up
- Allow the wax to sit and dry for an hour or two
- Use any additional materials that are recommended by the manufacturer
- Use an electric polisher or a sponge mop to buff the floor
- Leave the floor isolated for at least eight hours before putting the furniture and carpet back on. Thus it is best to do it before you go to bed at night.
Now that we have an idea of how to apply the waxes, let us look at a few which are dominating the market. The list is in no particular order.
Also, check out: Best Sectional Sofa Covers in 2020 | No More Dust on Your Sofa!
1. Bona Hardwood Floor Polish
Bona Hardwood Floor Polish not only restores the shine of your floor but also protects it from wear and tear. The glossy layer of protection fills any scratches and gives your surface a rejuvenated look.
2. Weiman Hardwood Floor Cleaner and Polish
Weiman Hardwood Floor Cleaner and Polish doubles down as a protective layer preventing your floor from scratches in the future as well as removing the existing ones. The wood floor wax is easy to use and handle. It can be sprayed over the floor and then spread by using a mop. With no sticky surface after applying, the floor can be used in a quick time.
3. Dura Seal Durafinish Liquid Floor Wax
If your floor is constantly being bombarded with footsteps and undergoes a lot of abuse, the Dura Seal Durafinish Liquid Floor Wax is for you. The wax helps restore color to your floor and makes it more durable. It usually ships in large containers, so it is expensive. But if you need to apply large volumes of wax on your floor, this is for you.
4. Minwax 609504444 Hardwood Floor Reviver
Minwax 609504444 Hardwood Floor Reviver helps your lackluster hardwood floor turn into a shiny, well-polished floor in just a coat. It provides durability and a clear finish. The wax doesn’t decolorize the floor and lasts about half a year before needing maintenance.
5. Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner
Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner is made from a blend of different waxy substances that help enrich the color and shine of your floor whilst ensuring no cracks on the floor. The wax adds an antique look to the floor and can be used on other wooden products such as furniture without any problem.
6. Quick Shine Multi-Surface Floor Finish and Polish
This uses an advanced formula designed specifically to protect and enrich the glow on hardwood surfaces. In oTo it is just poured and spread it. This makes it very easy to use. Quick Shine Multi-Surface Floor Finish and Polish have a wide variety of application surfaces ranging from wood to tile to vinyl.
- Re-wax the floor after a certain time as recommended by the manufacturer
- Remove the old wax before applying the fresh avoid to avoid wax build-up
- Mop your floor weekly to stop dust build-up
- Wipe liquid spillage as soon as possible
- Don’t drag furniture across the floor to reduce wear and tear
- Avoid dropping heavy objects on the floor
- Use professional help whilst waxing if you are not confident
Wooden floors have a unique sense of sophistication about them. They not only enhance the aesthetic look of your house or office but also acts as a long-time flooring option. But, it’s important to have your floor in the best possible condition at all times. This requires patience, hard work, and frankly money but if you already have a floor, you need to maintain it too.
The waxes listed here are priced between $9 to $70. The prices will go up depending on your floor area, use, and quality. Each space is unique and has its own set of designs that go together to enhance the beauty of the space. All factors are equally important.
We tried to help you understand the mechanism of floor waxing and which products to consider. Be sure to do our research before buying. I hope you don’t have a dent in your wallet.
You may want to check out: Best Sun Blocking Curtains in 2020 | Completely Block the Sunlight!